Thursday, May 14, 2009

I have arrived!!

May 13th, 2009

I have arrived in Monrovia! Hard to believe I am on the other side of the world from all of you. My journey went off without a hitch. Things have gone amazingly well.  It is ALOT of travelling (over 30 hours door to door) . I flew from JFK in NYC to Accra Ghana for the first leg of the journey.  Sat next to a Christian Evangelist on the way over. That was interesting.  Arrived  in Ghana yesterday  and had to wait there for about 5 hours before taking my flight to Monrovia.  Although, safe, Accra does seem to be the home to many scam artists,  as people tried to make me purchase a visa that I didn't need, or pay $50.00 for a second checked bag!! Fortunately I was forewarned about all of this!

I met up with a few people from Liberia in the Ghana airport. When they found out I was a doctor travelling to LIberia to help out, they were really nice to me, and looked out for me....made sure I made it up to the gate, etc. , kept calling me "dear". People here are very nice, and truly appreciate the people who come over to help.  People will grab your hand on the street and shake it !

The flight on Kenya Air from Accra was beautiful.  It was like flying SAS, with wonderful food, and wine. Who would have thought. ..When I arrived in Monrovia, Tammie was waiting for me with a driver.

I will make rounds in the hospital this morning. Apparently things are pretty grim there, as there have been several child deaths this week.  I think it has taken a toll on everyone who is working here.

Internet access is spotty here. I will write more when i can.  Miiss everyone!

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment